compensation: tbd based on experience and whether contract or full time employment type: employee's choice
QR Code Link to This Post
Advanced Prototype Engineering (APROE) is a San Francisco-based company specializing in prototyping new designs, the setup of high-end machine shops and creating and implementing training programs in those machine shops. We offer a casual work environment in a great section of the Design District, a full machine shop, and we have relationships with prominent Bay Area tech and design firms.
The ideal candidate is a unique blend of an experienced technical editor or writer and someone who has skills working with machine tools in a shop environment. He or she should have advanced experience working with “basic” machine tools such as band saws, drill presses, table saws, sanders, etc, and should also have experience with 3D printers, laser cutters and other rapid prototyping tools. Experience working with sheet metal tools, water jets, CNC machines and/or welding is also a plus. This individual should be able to teach others how to use machine tools through written and verbal communication. The candidate must be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and should have access to Adobe Creative Cloud.
The immediate need involves content editing “basic safety and use guides” written for a variety of machines, some of which are mentioned above. Being able to do copy and layout editing on a document is a plus. In the future, this candidate could also be responsible for educating our technical writers on how to use machine tools onsite so that the technical writers can create new documentation on the safe use of the tools.
• Advanced shop experience with both wood and metal tools. Some experience with laser cutters and 3D printers. Experience with water jet cutters, sheet metal tools or welding is a plus but not required.
• Experience with technical or educational editing and writing.
• Ability to approach an unknown machine tool and determine functionality using physical attributes and context clues.
• Ability to clearly articulate the proper use of machine tools through verbal and written medium.
• Positive attitude and interest in working closely with other people.
• Ability to travel to shops around the bay area and nationally to assess and discuss tools in various locations.
Please reply to the email address below by attaching your resume and including a short cover letter within the body of the email. Your email should have the subject line “[Your last name]: Technical Editor”. Replies that do not comply with the above requirements will be ignored. Due to the expected volume of applicants, submissions may not receive a reply.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers