compensation: This is a full-time, non-exempt, temporary position, starting as soon as possible, and working either Wednesday – Sunday or Tuesday - Saturday. Starting salary $18.25. employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH)
We are working to keep our staff and tenants safe 24/7 during this difficult time. We are in need of desk clerks and janitorial staff on a temporary basis to ensure we can continue to provide our essential services in a safe manner. We are in compliance with current guidelines from the Department of Public Health in San Francisco to protect staff and tenants from exposure including enforcing social distancing, sanitation and providing gloves for all staff.
Job Announcement: Temporary Janitor
Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) is looking for a Temporary Janitor. Temporary Janitors maintain the general cleanliness of the interior and exterior of one or more of the DISH properties located in San Francisco. This position is responsible for ensuring a high standard of cleanliness, customer service, and a hazard-free environment and also ensuring a high standard of work quality, and adherence to DISH policies and best practices.
Temporary Janitors may be deployed to any of the properties and offices depending on the needs of the organization. Duties below are assigned based on deployment but all are janitorial responsibilities.
The Temporary Janitor position is an hourly, non-exempt, temporary position and reports to the Janitorial Supervisor. Non-exempt employees work a standard 40 hour week. Time beyond 40 hours per week is at management discretion and must be pre-approved
Position Overview: Qualified Applicants must be interested in:
• Ending homelessness with a housing first approach in a harm reduction setting
• Providing great customer service in a supportive housing setting
• Implementing nontraditional approaches to property management in a social justice and racial justice context
• Developing a supportive environment for all tenants using trauma-informed approach
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing believes that everyone deserves a home. Every day, we provide high-quality, permanent housing to San Franciscans who suffer from serious health issues—because with our help, they can get off the streets, rebuild their lives, and strengthen our communities. For more information, visit dishsf.org.
Our Mission: Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) strives to provide excellent property management services to help end homelessness in San Francisco. DISH, a project of the Tides Center, provides custom property management services exclusively to the HSH’s Direct Access to Housing program. Through its work, DISH hopes to demonstrate the healing effects of home and stable community, to reinforce the self-worth of persons who have not had access to a clean, beautiful place to live, and to involve tenants in healthy and life affirming activities by drawing upon the diverse opportunities in San Francisco.
• Demonstrate excellence: In our work and in our interactions.
• Stay focused: On what’s most important and within our control.
• Under-promise and over-deliver: Managing expectations along the way.
• Use initiative and innovation: Improving our services and performance.
• Be fair and consistent: Implementing our policies and procedures.
• Be mindful and prudent: With income and expenses.
• Be respectful and hopeful: With tenants, partners, coworkers, and ourselves.
• Be open: To different opinions, challenging discussions, and taking risks.
DISH Service Commitments:
1. Warm greetings & interactions every chance we get
2. Professional appearance every day
3. Service through helping
4. Be present and respectful at all times
5. Stay calm in the eye of the storm
6. Strive for the best environment to be in and work in
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Cleans and maintains common areas of sites including all bathrooms, elevators, entry ways, kitchen areas, conference rooms, community rooms, hallways, staff offices, sidewalks and gardens, etc. This includes mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing, emptying trash cans etc. as needed to keep the building as clean and beautiful as possible.
• Reports all maintenance repairs needed and other concerns and observations, such as evidence of pests, to their Supervisor.
• Completes work orders for residents and/or management as assigned by the Supervisor, General Manager or Assistant General Manager in a timely and accurate manner. Cleans up after work is complete.
• Implements existing building policies and procedures, including emergency plan.
• Walks assigned site to be sure the common areas, hallways, laundry, etc. are in good condition and advises their Supervisor on the condition of the property if there are issues such as leaks or damage. Informs their Supervisor and/or other appropriate staff of any unusual activity or maintenance issues in a timely manner.
• Carries out all job responsibilities in a manner that reflects best practices and concern for personal health and safety and that of co-workers and tenants.
• Responsible for learning and following all published and generally accepted best practices for job safety policies and procedures.
• Collaborates with maintenance and janitorial staff at other DISH sites as needed.
• Attends and actively participates in staff meetings and trainings as assigned by Supervisor.
• Responsible for keeping readily available DISH-provided work phone and having all relevant business related phone numbers available at all times.
• Cleans and repairs units during turnover process at all properties as directed by Supervisor.
• Consistently and effectively implements all Tides and DISH operating and human resource policies and procedures.
• Adheres to DISH Bed Bug Abatement P&P and reports any suspected pest issue to supervisors immediately
• Provides on-call and emergency janitorial services as directed by the on-call Facilities management and/or Facilities Director. Responds to emergencies as required.
• Assembles unit furniture
• Clears units for turns, including application of TSP, paint preparation tasks, and touch-up painting
• Assists in furnishing units for tenant move-ins
• Assists with move-ins of new residents. Accepts additional tasks as necessary, such as setting up for staff trainings, participating in volunteer events, etc.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Eliminates clogs in toilets and sinks using appropriate non-power hand tool(s)
• Maintains inventory of supplies, tools and equipment, and makes purchasing recommendations
• Maintains clean and organized site basements
• Performs key-making for unit and mailbox keys
• Performs additional related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• 1 year or more job-related janitorial work experience is required. Professional training may substitute for experience.
• 1 year or more of experience with customer service provision or client relations preferred.
• 1 year or more of experience working in a team environment required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability and willingness to demonstrate the DISH Mission, Values, and Service Commitments at all times.
• Ability and willingness to foster a professional and welcoming environment in all interactions with colleagues, residents, visitors and vendors, regardless of differing backgrounds, beliefs, choices and identities.
• Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, including people with active mental health issues, active substance use issues, and histories of homelessness and trauma.
• Enthusiasm for working as a team member and ability to take direction from a supervisor
• Ability to communicate effectively through reading and writing in elementary English. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
• Skill in basic math is required as is the ability to follow instructions and accurately complete standard templates and forms.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment, and ability to prioritize among competing pressing issues.
• Ability to manage expectations and meet deadlines in a timely and effective manner.
• Ability to be flexible and to work effectively in a crisis situation. Ability to assess when an incident is an emergency and to take appropriate action.
• Ability to maintain a professional personal appearance and demeanor at all times, including following DISH’s uniform policy
Frequently required to push/pull objects weighing more than 100 lbs and lift and carry objects weighing more than 50 lbs but less than 100. Frequently required to perform simple manipulative tasks such as using hand tools and operating janitorial machinery. Must be able to walk, stand, squat, and remain in uncomfortable positions for the period of time necessary to accomplish janitorial duties. Frequently required to operate power tools, cleaning equipment, or other machinery related to janitorial tasks. Frequently required to use public transportation to travel between DISH sites.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, temporary position, starting as soon as possible, and working either Wednesday – Sunday or Tuesday - Saturday. Starting salary $18.25.
Equal Employment Opportunity
DISH, a project of the Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or the conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS Related Conditions (ARC).
Position is open until filled. In addition to a resume, applicants must include a cover letter including salary requirements expressing their interest in this position with DISH and why they are qualified for this job. If you were referred by someone who already works at DISH, please note that in you cover letter, too. Please submit cover letter and resume via email to TempAtDISH@dishsf.org. Make sure to include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers