compensation: $75,000-$80,000 DOE with health, vision, and dental benefits plus unlimited (with approval) PTO and paid cell phone. employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
La Cocina ("The Kitchen") is a nonprofit, full-service, shared use commercial kitchen (2200 Sq. feet) and business incubator. The goal of La Cocina is to assist low-income entrepreneurs, primarily women, immigrants and people from communities of color, in becoming economically self-sufficient by providing: (1) a fully approved and equipped commercial kitchen they can use for the development and ongoing preparation of their business; (2) professional food industry technical assistance designed to improve their business operations, market penetration, profit, economic scale and sustainability; (3) access to new markets and (4) access to capital. You can learn more about the organization at www.lacocinasf.org.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Director of Development and Communications is a Full Time, exempt position. Hours are Monday through Friday with occasional night and weekend requirements. The position reports to the Executive Director.
Since 2005, La Cocina has worked with talented, working-class entrepreneurs to launch, grow and formalize food businesses. We currently have 53 graduate businesses and 36 businesses in our incubator. The Director of Development and Communications will manage all fundraising, friend-raising and communications for the organization. We're lean, but hungry, and the Director will work on high-level strategy as well as day-to-day communications.
The measure of all of the communications impact is in the bottom-line of La Cocina, an organization whose budget this year is $3M, half of which is fundraised and which you will be directly responsible for. Communication and events also contribute to campaigns that raise the other half of the income (earned revenue) for La Cocina. The Director ultimately uses communications to strengthen La Cocina's financial position, and executes on development to keep our revenues in line with needs and expectation. Scary? Let's hope not. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Manage pipeline, cash flow and reporting for Foundations, Government Grants, Corporate Donations and Individual Donors
• Manage La Cocina's Membership Campaign, ensuring growth year over year
• Manage all event sponsorship and corporate donations
• Manage all databases for accurate and timely reporting of funds development particularly for foundations and government grants
• Manage databases for individual donors ensuring effective and timely communication, thank yous, and ongoing engagement
Communications has been and continues to be essential to La Cocina's success. We love spreading the good work of La Cocina, and the Director manages all of that outflow. La Cocina's communications include; external communications to fans and donors, internal communications to funders/stakeholders/board/participants, and public relations about both the organization and the businesses in our community, and + marketing for La Cocina, for our events and on behalf of our participants. Fun, right?!?! Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Manage all internal communications streams ensuring clarity on activities for staff, board and participants.
• Manage all external communications streams including, but not limited to: overall website design and content, La Cocina branding, social media, newsletters, donor campaigns, PR and marketing.
• Develop PR and marketing campaigns by creating, distributing and evaluating all outward and inward facing marketing pieces from La Cocina in both English and Spanish.
• Manage and implement effective communications at all La Cocina external-facing events, like the San Francisco Street Food Festival. Provide additional communications support, strategy and hands-on work for all events.
• Support program staff by providing expertise and knowledge in marketing and communications that will impact our participant businesses' ability to effectively communicate about themselves as members of La Cocina's Community.
• Manage the "Born at La Cocina" brand as it relates to our graduate and incubator businesses.
La Cocina's events are the heart of our communications efforts and one of the most fun things that we do. This position is directly responsible for the marketing and sales of those events as well as the big picture branding and communications internal to event production. Responsibilities include:
• Managing all marketing and PR for all La Cocina events
• Managing all internal and external communications around La Cocina events
• On-site presence at all events and creation of marketing materials for all events
• General event design direction, input and leadership
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
The candidate must meet the following requirements:
• At least 5 years of development and/or communications experience. Must be comfortable in both spaces.
• At least 3 years of management experience.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English with fluency and ease of writing in both languages
• An ability to communicate personally and intimately with our program participants as well as an innate understanding or willingness to learn the San Francisco food scene.
• Ability to communicate eloquently both orally and in writing (in Spanish too).
• Excellent writing and creative writing skills
• High level of organization and project management.
• Knowledgeable in Salesforce, MS Excel, Word, Food industry knowledge
• Highly recommended: Design skills, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
The ideal candidate will have the following professional experience and personal qualities:
• At least 3 years of experience in retail food sales or relevant sales, PR and/or marketing experience.
• Good people and conflict resolution skills. Job requires constant interaction with program participants.
• Patience, flexibility and a good sense of humor
• A passion for great food and a willingness to taste anything
• Ability to speak passionately
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers