compensation: $50-$55,000 DOE with health, vision, and dental benefits and unlimited (with approval) PTO (plus paid cell phone) and great food employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
La Cocina ("The Kitchen") is a nonprofit, full-service, shared use commercial kitchen (2200 Sq. feet) and business incubator. The goal of La Cocina is to assist low-income entrepreneurs, primarily women, immigrants and people from communities of color, in becoming economically self-sufficient by providing: (1) a fully approved and equipped commercial kitchen they can use for the development and ongoing preparation of their business; (2) professional food industry technical assistance designed to improve their business operations, market penetration, profit, economic scale and sustainability; (3) access to new markets and (4) access to capital. You can learn more about the organization at www.lacocinasf.org.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Communications and Development Associate is a Full Time, exempt position. Hours are Monday through Friday with occasional night and weekend requirements. The position reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
Our Communications and Development Associate provides the fundamental link between La Cocina and the rest of the world. It begins with learning and communicating internally with clients and staff and translating that to the general public through marketing efforts at events--culminating with successful fundraising for La Cocina. The mark of a successful person in this role is the love and respect of the general public for the work of La Cocina and to delight in the success of our alumni.
We are looking for a strong communicator with a passion for our mission and a commitment to hospitality - someone who can confidently write a grant proposal, sell a sponsorship off of a cold call to a corporation and then capture all of those moments in an Instagram story. Ultimately, this position is the perfect entry-level opportunity for someone who wants to make a living in social justice, equitable food economies and philanthropy.
The measure of all of the communications impact is in the bottom-line of La Cocina. Communication and events contribute to campaigns that raise revenue and funds for La Cocina. This position, ultimately, is responsible for the cultivation and growth of development funds from individuals to large grants. The role includes some of the following:
• Manage the donor pipeline, from top to bottom, with a focus on relationship building and organization
• Write and submit all funding proposals
• Manage databases for individual donors and foundation support
Story-telling is one of the foundations of the work that we do, and essential to this role. This role owns the communications of the organization internally and externally in some of the following ways:
• Coordinate all internal communications streams and improve collaboration between businesses.
• Coordinate all external communications streams including: website updates, social media, newsletters, donor campaigns, PR and marketing.
• Execute PR and marketing campaigns by creating, distributing and evaluating all outward and inward facing marketing pieces from La Cocina in both English and Spanish.
• Support program staff by providing expertise and knowledge in marketing and communications.
La Cocina's events provide the backbone for our branding efforts and access to market creation for entrepreneurs. We admire and respect the great events across our industry (SFA's Symposium, Big Apple BBQ, Etc.) and aspire to reach those heights (we do several well-known event already, like the San Francisco Street Food Festival). In this role, you will vision and execute events that contribute to the brand and perception of La Cocina in some of the following ways:
• Cultivate and manage all sponsor relationships
• Create and coordinate all brand assets
• Managing graphic design
• Plan, schedule and work with staff to promote all business-related events including openings.
La Cocina is in growth mode, spinning off our retail programs and opening a new Municipal Marketplace. For 2019, this position will be asked to shoulder some of the administrative burden of that growth while we seek to fill other positions.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
The candidate must meet the following requirements:
• Bilingual in Spanish and English with fluency and ease of writing in both languages
• An ability to communicate personally and intimately with our program participants as well as an innate understanding or willingness to learn the San Francisco food scene.
• A personal and professional interest in equity work, particularly around race, gender and immigration
• Social media skills
• Excellent writing and creative writing skills
• Internet fluency. Quick on the email draw, in other words.
• Ability to communicate eloquently both orally and in writing (in Spanish too).
• Highly organized with excellent time and space management skills.
• Knowledgeable in MS Excel, Word, Food industry knowledge
• Highly recommended: Design skills, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
The ideal candidate will have the following professional experience and personal qualities:
• At least 3 years of experience in retail food sales or relevant sales, PR and/or marketing experience.
• High level of organization and project management.
• Good people and conflict resolution skills. Job requires constant interaction with program participants.
• Patience, flexibility and a good sense of humor
• A passion for great food and a willingness to taste anything
• Ability to speak passionately and articulately about our mission
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers