compensation: $23/hour plus benefits employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
La Cocina's Program team is looking to add a kitchen associate for the 2948 Folsom Street facility. Your job will be to keep our kitchen - the heart of our program - running in top shape for the use of our 30 active users. You will also be part of intentionally cultivating our unique, multi-cultural kitchen community, providing culinary assistance, and supporting participants as they grow businesses out of the facility. You'll spend the majority of time in the kitchen and also be excited to provide insights, guidance, and culinary education to the entrepreneurs as they grow their businesses. You are energized by the thought of working in a kitchen full of businesses led by woman, leading teams of women and people of color from all over the globe. You are the kind of person who equally cares about cleaning the corners of a walkin and structural racism and can talk about it fluently in both English and Spanish (other languages a bonus!)
ABOUT LA COCINA
La Cocina ("The Kitchen") is a nonprofit, full-service, shared use commercial kitchen (2200 Sq. feet) and business incubator. The goal of La Cocina is to assist low-income entrepreneurs, primarily women, immigrants and people from communities of color, in becoming economically self-sufficient by providing: (1) a fully approved and equipped commercial kitchen they can use for the development and ongoing preparation of their business; (2) professional food industry technical assistance designed to improve their business operations, market penetration, profit, economic scale and sustainability; (3) access to new markets and (4) access to capital. You can learn more about the organization at www.lacocinasf.org.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Kitchen Associate a 40 hour per week position at $23/hr, with full benefits. Ideally we are looking for someone to work a Tuesday - Saturday schedule, starting early morning and ending early afternoon.
The position primarily oversees the 2948 Folsom Street Facility, and is responsible for managing the day to day leads the program's culinary training and technical assistance curriculum and manages the operation of the kitchen facility and the client's usage of the kitchen. Duties include but are not limited to:
● Facility Management: Manage inventory of kitchen and cleaning supplies, oversee and schedule facility and kitchen equipment repair and maintenance, manage janitorial/maintenance staff. Assist Facility Team in supervising kitchen schedule and ensuring proper billing is met. Manage kitchen rentals and contracts.
● Support and training for effectively working in a production kitchen: Provide culinary instruction for proper and safe use of kitchen equipment, enforce sanitary food handling methods and kitchen policies and procedures. Monitor that clients are in compliance with kitchen policies and procedures and maintain relevant records according to the laws set forth by the State and the City of San Francisco Department of Public Health.
● Training & Culture Building: work with the program team to build a culture of respect in the kitchen and be part of biannual trainings around values and operations in the kitchen.
Facility Operations and Maintenance
Specific duties include, but are not limited to;
● Operation and management of all equipment, facility, and utilities
○ Keep records up to date and manage licenses for adherence to all city, state and federal requirements for commercial kitchen facilities
○ Work day to day with service providers and contractors for facility maintenance in coordination with Culinary Manager.
● Managing General Kitchen Use
○ Responsible for training all users of the facility on operations, safety and maintenance
○ Responsible for maintaining and training all users on proper food safety and sanitation techniques
○ Responsible for client records as it pertains to usage of the kitchen and permits
○ Responsible for managing flow of kitchen user production, organization and cleanliness of storage areas
● Community Building & Kitchen Training
○ Facilitate connections and foster positive relationships in the kitchen
○ Work with Program Manager & Culinary Manager to execute regular kitchen trainings that cover values, moving in multi-cultural spaces
○ Train all businesses, employees and volunteers on kitchen safety, rules, regulations and sanitation, execute kitchen orientations and ensure routine communication.
● Assist Culinary Manager and support Culinary programming
○ production scheduling, as needed
○ Reporting to Culinary Manager and provide input for management of the budget for all kitchen and facility-related expenses
○ Maintain careful record of hours spent working with participants and volunteers so that La Cocina can track program effectiveness and value.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
● Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
● Good people and conflict resolution skills. Job requires constant interaction with program participants
● Highly organized with excellent time and space management skills.
● Proficient in Gmail, Google Docs, Office Products
● 3-5 years professional kitchen experience/training, with experience in restaurant launches and kitchen build-outs, and/or consulting in these
● Patience, flexibility, positive, motivator
● Culturally competent and empathetic
● Strong knowledge and passion for great food and a willingness to taste anything
● Ability to speak passionately and articulately about our mission
OPTIMUM SKILL SET
● Bilingual is necessary, Spanish and English
● Significant professional experience in the food-service, specialty food and/or restaurant industry
● CA Food Safety Certification
● Run a food program at a pre-set food cost
● Prides themselves on being calm, collected and fair in conflict situations
● Loves bringing joy into the communities you move in
● Management experience preferred
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers