The Assistant Controller is one of the Exploratorium’s senior financial managers. The position manages financial systems for the Exploratorium and serves as a business liaison from accounting to the operational areas of the organization providing financial management and review of operational activities. The Assistant Controller directs the four person Accounts Payable and General Accounting staff, and reports directly to the Exploratorium’s Controller.
• Maintain the financial systems for all operating accounting functions for the $50 million enterprise
• Manage accounting functions related to the areas of cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, fixed assets and financial reporting
• Manages accounting for fixed assets including the recording of capital expenditures and depreciation on a monthly basis
• Provides technical guidance and compliance oversight on all policy and fiscal matters for all Federal awards, including review and approval of proposal budgets to various Federal agencies
• Prepares and assists in the negotiation of the Federal Indirect Cost rate, knowledge of all OMB Uniform Guidance administrative, audit and cost principle requirements for federal awards desired
• Reviews and approves accounting treatment of all temporarily restricted grants and sponsorships received by the museum, and ensures donor restrictions are followed
• Reviews all other asset and liability reconciliations, specifically as it relates to large consulting and fabrication projects
• Supervise the department staff handling A/P and general ledger functions
• Manage the work flow within the department to provide effective utilization of department resources
• Provide training for department staff and cross training to ensure adequate backup and coverage for all functions
• Coordinate and manage month-end and fiscal year-end operating closing procedures
• Prepare year-end audit schedules and review schedules prepared by other staff.
• Serves as the primary contact and facilitator for all Audit questions/requests during the Exploratorium’s federal compliance and financial Audit. Assists with the preparation of the 990 Tax filing
• Assist the Controller in the development and documentation of accounting policies and procedures
• Review financial reporting from non-accounting staff throughout the museum and provide training as required
• Review month-end journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliations prepared by department staff and individuals in other centers
• Quarterly sales Tax/1099 and other tax filings
• Review payroll and accounts payable interfaces for posting to GL
• Respond to inquiries from the organization’s personnel and meet with other departments’ staff as necessary
• Ability to utilize a computer and other office equipment, lift and carry up to 40 pounds short distances, physically move from place to place, bend, twist, reach, grasp.
• Additional duties as assigned
• BA/BS degree in accounting, finance, or related field
• Minimum five years’ experience in management of an accounting department
• Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) with a sound knowledge of statutory accounting principles
• CPA a plus
• Ability to work independently and also collaborate with diverse personalities
• Proficient with Navigator Accounting software or equivalent accounting software
• Demonstrable expertise in Excel
• Non-profit experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to improve and refine financial practices, identify critical paths and solutions, apply creative problem solving
• Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to prioritize and balance multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated ability to develop systems, structures, and tools for financial analysis
Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, religious expression, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran’s status or any other class protected by applicable law.
The Exploratorium will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities