Life Skills Training and Educational Programs, Inc., LifeSTEPS, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization, is currently recruiting for a Program Coordinator/Youth Leader. This position will work in the city of San Jose, CA. It is the LifeSTEPS Mission to provide effective educational and supportive services to maximize the strengths of individuals and build resilient communities.
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Report to: Regional Supervisor of Social Services
FLSA classification: Non-Exempt
Hours: 18+ hours per week. (Additional hours may be available on an "on-call" basis as determined by business need.)
Pay Rate: $15.00 per hour
The Program Coordinator (PC), under the direction of the Regional Director of Social Services OR Regional Supervisor of Social Services, is expected to design, implement, and coordinate activities and programs within assigned affordable housing complexes. This position works closely with the Director of Social Services (DSS) to provide the highest quality of service to the residents served by LifeSTEPS.
Essential Job Functions include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Assess the needs of the community's children and/or seniors by communicating with residents and utilizing findings of the needs assessments completed by the DSS.
• Implement activities and programs following the schedule utilizing the monthly calendar. This includes the After School Program (ASP), Teen curriculum, Summer Reading Program and/or activities for seniors.
• Utilize creativity when introducing crafts, events, activities, etc. in order to provide the best experience for the participants.
• Maintain contact with the property manager at each site visit, and communicate information on activity program information as appropriate.
• Refer residents in need of community referrals and case management to the Director of Social Services.
• Make reports to Child Protective Services or Adult Protective Services as mandated reporters.
• Collect data necessary for reports, grants, and statistics.
• Communicate effectively in order to maintain open lines of communication with children, teens, parents, guardians, and seniors.
• Maintain community room and/or classroom in an organized and clean manner. Decorate in monthly theme where applicable.
• Ensure each participant is registered and/or completes the sign-in sheets as applicable. Maintain participant files (registration packet, surveys, report cards, etc.).
• Maintain and submit weekly sign-in sheets/ASP data to property DSS and immediate supervisor.
• Maintain inventory of craft supplies and communicate with DSS when supplies are needed, including but not limited to snacks, craft supplies and prizes for the LifeSTEPS ASP dollar incentive program.
• Follow all LifeSTEPS policies, procedures and guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representation of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: The minimum qualifications and training for this position are:
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Two (2) years of experience in a similar environment providing services.
• Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology or related field preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
• Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language.
• Communicating with Supervisors or Peers: Provide information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
o Communicating with Persons outside the Organization: Communicate with third parties with professionalism; represent and promote LifeSTEPS values to program participants and partnerships, the public, governmental and other external agencies. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
o Check email and voicemail daily and respond the same day or within 24 hours.
• Team building: Encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Ability to demonstrate craft projects and conduct activities in both indoor and outdoor settings.
• Ability to identify and meet the instructional needs of participants based on learning styles, backgrounds or special needs.
• Ability to provide behavior management for participants in an after school program setting.
• Ability to treat senior residents with gentleness and respect while maintaining confidentiality especially when addressing age related issues.
• Attention to Detail: Detail oriented and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Computer Skills: Ability to operate a personal computer with email, internet and word processing software.
• Dependability: Regular attendance and timeliness is mandatory in order to meet compliance requirements. Must be able to physically be at each assigned property and spend the required contracted hours at each assigned property per month.
• Valid California Driving License and reliable, insured transportation required.
Physical Job Description
• Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; walk on uneven terrain; bend; sit; use hands to handle objects, tools, or controls; lift; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and move about the facilities within the communities served by LifeSTEPS- both indoors and outdoors. Vision and hearing must be sufficient to perform job functions safely including visual acuity to perform activities such as data entry, preparing reports, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading, and visual inspection of one's own work product at varying distances. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Work Environment: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee occasionally works in outdoor weather conditions, at resident properties, and special events.
Please be advised that, because of a conflict of interest, relatives/children of LifeSTEPS employees may not be participants of our programs unless the individual reside at the property at which the program is being held.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter in PDF format.
Please reference open position: # 2019-014
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers