favorite this postPublishing operations (editorial&production) assistanthide this posting
compensation: Depends on experience employment type: full-time telecommuting okay
QR Code Link to This Post
PeerJ is an award-winning, open access, peer-reviewed, scholarly journal publisher covering biology, the life sciences, medicine, and computer science. We are taking a Silicon Valley approach to shaking up academic publishing and our mission is to 'efficiently publish the world's knowledge'.
We need someone with professional communication skills to join our team helping authors, peer-reviewers, and Academic Editors as we move submissions through peer-review and into production via our Content Management System. This role is conducted entirely online. It includes checking manuscripts to ensure they are complete and adhere to our guidelines; troubleshooting and fixing various aspects of the peer-review process; light copyediting of accepted articles before publication to ensure compliance with house style; coordinating with reviewers, authors, Academic Editors and typesetters and responding to their queries; communicating with authors and reviewers.
Reporting to the Head of Publishing Operations, the ideal candidate is motivated to complete their assignments in a timely manner; self-directed; demonstrates good judgment (using common sense, logic, and problem-solving skills); understands when to escalate a situation; takes the initiative where appropriate and particularly where a sense of urgency is required; has the highest standards of 'customer service'; and maintains discretion regarding confidential information.
This is not a writing position.
Starting ASAP, this is a full time position working from home with flexible working hours.
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications
• Based in California, preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area
• Excellent English comprehension and communication skills (written and verbal)
• Proficiency with text document programs (most importantly MS Word)
• Proficiency working with PDF editing tools
• Working knowledge of Google Docs
• Demonstrated organizational skills (the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines)
• Excellent attention to detail
• An interest, and/or experience, in STM ('Scientific, Technical and Medical') or academic publishing
• A university degree or equivalent is preferred
Skills that would make you stand out
• Prior experience with journal submission systems
• Prior copyediting experience
• Prior experience conducting highly detailed quality checks
• Customer service experience
• Unlimited vacation policy (after probation period)
• Equity share in the company (after vesting period)
• Flexible working hours and a relaxed work environment
• The opportunity to play an active role in improving scientific communication and to make a difference in the world!
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter clearly describing the relevance of your work experience to this role with the Subject Line: Operations (editorial&production) assistant.
Please only apply once, multiple responses to all our ads is not necessary.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities