compensation: $18.08 per hour and excellent benefits package available employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Division: Department of Animal Rescue & Control
Reports to: Manager, Department of Animal Rescue & Control
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Union
Salary: $18.08 per hour
Excellent Benefits Package Available
The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA (PHS/SPCA) is a local, private, non-profit charitable organization dedicated to animal welfare. It is our mission is to build healthy relationships between people and animals. PHS/SPCA is truly an open admission shelter, not only accepting many pet animals who might be refused at other shelters, but also taking care of injured and orphaned native wildlife from San Francisco through San Mateo and the northern half of Santa Clara County. Our work means 6,300 lives saved each year.
Some responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Patrol assigned areas within San Mateo County in a patrol vehicle using safe driving practices.
• Pick-up stray animal rescues and/or relocate animals in distress in a safe and humane manner.
• Locate, quarantine and observe animals for symptoms of rabies.
• Pick-up and remove dead animals.
• Assist in euthanasia or euthanize animals as necessary.
• Perform decapitations on select animals, per the guidelines of the health department.
• Prepare reports and maintain daily work records.
• Interact professionally with the public.
An ideal candidate would have the following qualifications:
• High School graduate and at least 18 years of age.
• Must possess a valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record.
• Upon hire, must complete an extensive background check, including felony check.
• Must successfully complete a course in 832 PC (law enforcement course) within one year of employment as an officer.
• Must have the ability to work professionally and communicate effectively with the public, fellow employees and volunteers.
• Must have a flexible schedule and able to work on weekends and/or holidays as needed.
• Must be highly motivated toward the welfare and humane treatment of all animals.
• Able to work effectively without close supervision.
• Must be able to lift 50lbs from ground to waist; able to stand, walk, run, use hands to grab, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
• Must have previous customer service experience.
• Prior experience (volunteering and/or professionally) working with animals is highly desirable.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome a diverse pool of applicants.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers