The individual in this position of Laboratory Technician II will be an important member of the laboratory team. They will interface with other departments, such as Winemaking, Bottling, and the Cellar at various stages of production. This position requires attention and adherence to laboratory quality requirements, support of quality initiatives, teamwork, professionalism and demonstrated work ethic. The individual in this position may be responsible monitoring wine quality before and after bottling and performing audits of wine quality during bottling. Additional duties may include microbial monitoring of wine before and after bottling.
- Perform quality work in a fast‑paced, team‑oriented environment.
- Perform daily checks and calibrations for safety equipment and laboratory instrumentation.
- Participate in maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the laboratory.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment and troubleshoot instrumentation.
- Effectively perform routine and specialized laboratory analyses.
- Set‑up various wine trials as requested by winemaking.
- Enter analytical results into the database.
- Obtain sample from barrels and tanks.
- Perform microbiological analysis of wine and juice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Areas of Specialization:
- Knowledge of wine production.
- Knowledge of wine chemistry and microbiology.
- Knowledge of gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
- Possession of time‑management, project management, statistics and critical thinking skills.
- Technical writing skills.
- Experience with polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Experience with a laboratory information system (LIMS).
- Experience with method development and validation.
Candidates should possess a B.S. or M.S. degree in Microbiology, Chemistry or Food Science, and a minimum of 3 years of laboratory experience (food/beverage, environmental, or pharmaceutical). The candidate should possess excellent verbal and written skills in English (Spanish language skills are a strong plus) and computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio a plus). Prior production experience in a wine lab environment is desirable. The availability to work overtime and flexibility to work varying shifts, is required. The candidate must be able to lift 35 lbs. and be able to stand for long periods of time.
Required to stand long periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and able to lift and move up to 35 pounds of weight.