compensation: Depends on Experience employment type: employee's choice non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
The Cedars of Marin provides day programs and residential opportunities for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities that inspire them to live creative, productive and joyous lives. Located in the heart of Marin County, Cedars has a rich history of innovation and leadership, supporting individuals through our award-winning programs and services since 1919.
Cedars staff work to ensure that residents and participants are supported to live a self-directed life and are treated with dignity and respect.
As a part of Cedars Food Services team, you will display caring, sensitivity and flexibility in working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities within the residential programs. This work is fun, creative, fulfilling and challenging. Part time position Saturday and Sunday 6:00 am – 2:30 pm. Time available to fill in for Food Services Manager as need.
The Assistant Cook will work with the Manager of Food Services to provide three nutritious, delicious meals for 50 residents daily. Cooking experience is necessary.
1. Adheres to and conveys a philosophy that supports the dignity, privacy, independence, choice, and individuality of residents.
2. Responsible for food preparation as requested. Uses recipes and/or directions provided to prepare food (e.g. sandwiches, salads, desserts, hot plates, beverages); follows proper food handling, sanitation and safety procedures
3. Responsible for reviewing inventory of food to insure residents are served fresh, wholesome food. Follows procedures for disposal of outdated food, by checking expiration dates and spot inspecting produce.
4. Responsible for properly labeling, covering and storing unused food after each meal.
5. Responsible for cleaning food preparation areas and equipment, according to a set schedule and as requested by the Food Service Manager.
6. Assists the Food Service Manager as requested in inventorying and stocking food products and supplies.
7. Washes dishes; empties trash daily
8. Responsible for checking levels on chemicals in kitchen, and replenishing supplies as needed.
9. Supervises The Cedars of Marin kitchen in the absence of the Food Service Manager.
10. Maintain kitchen facilities in accordance with regulations (Title 17 and 22).
1. High School degree or equivalent.
2. Prefer one year experience working in a kitchen, helpful if in healthcare related industry.
3. Willingness to teach, guide and work with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
4. Ability to work well as a part of a group or as part of a team of leaders. Flexibility in varied job assignments.
5. Willingness to pitch in when/where needed.
6. Upbeat, positive attitude and good sense of humor a plus.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in English (speaking and writing)
8. Good computer skills helpful.
9. Demonstrated ability to manage time.
10. Excellent attendance and punctuality.
11. Must be able to pass all required pre-hire screening checks, including a background clearance through Community Care Licensing and pre-employment occupational physical including TB test
12. Food Handlers card, or the ability to obtain one is preferred.
13. Ability to work autonomously, weekend work unsupervised.
1. Experience in supporting adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities is strongly desired.
2. Desire to help others achieve their full potential.
3. Willingness to teach and guide adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
4. Common sense and good judgment at all times.
5. Medical background, skills, terminology is a plus.
6. Ability to think ahead and take initiative.
7. Ability to communicate effectively with various professionals and staff.
8. MUST be able to drive a regular passenger van: Valid CA driver license; Clean DMV record.
9. Use email and computer ability to learn database.
10. CPR and First Aid certifications or ability to acquire it
For additional information you can visit our website at http://www.cedarslife.org
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter via email.
The Cedars of Marin does not discriminate on the basis of disability status in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its federally assisted programs and activities. The person named below has been designated to coordinate compliance with the nondiscrimination requirements contained in the Department of Housing and Urban Development's regulations implementing Section 504 (24 CFR, part 8, dated June 2, 1988. Katherine Coco, P.O. Box 947, Ross, CA 94957, 415-455-1715, ext. 356, TTY 800-735-2929 or 711. TTY: 1-800
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers