I like editing manuscripts, either turning rough works into finished ones (heavy editing), or polishing finished manuscripts to perfection - and getting them ready for publication.
What I need from you to give a quote: the manuscript (or a chapter or two). I never know what is coming through the door until I see the MS. Some books are near-finished, and only need light copyediting. Others are disorganized, or contradict themselves. After editing hundreds of books, and writing a dozen of my own, I can deal with either situation. But I need to see the manuscript to give you a quote.
What I can do for you beyond editing alone:
• Connect you to a good professional typesetter and cover designer. (You may not need the *best* designer ... but you do want to avoid the many amateurs.)
• Tell you the critical marketing rules for cover design in the internet age. Cover designers don't know the rules, and I'm troubled when I see a good book go to market with a cover that won't sell.
• Give your book a more professional appearance by adding Cataloging-in-Publication data and/or ISBN numbers to your copyright page. True, a lot of publishers don't bother -- but it gives your book a polished mainstream look, which makes a difference when prospective buyers "Look Inside" on Amazon previews.
• Tell you how to launch a book on Amazon. It doesn't take a lot of money, but it *should* be done -- unless you want your first review to be a One-Star instead of a Five-Star.
My first rule of editing: save the author from embarrassment. Making you look brilliant (sorry, *more* brilliant!) comes second. Strict grammar comes last; I'm not a "grammarian," and I'll let small "errors" go if necessary to preserve your "voice," or keep a well-written sentence. (Big grammar errors and typos have to be corrected, of course, or we break the first rule.)
Authors' comments on my editing:
"I asked Nicholas to perform deep editing of my book. First, I asked him because I liked his own writings: his precision and ability to avoid dry/boring language. I was happy with this: he brought life into the book and yet preserved my own style. However, his work as editor and content developer impressed me even more. He did not hesitate to express honest opinion and suggestions when needed. As the result, I re-wrote several chapters, which clearly improved the book. It took me some time to recognize and appreciate all the work that he has done. When intelligence and experience counts - Nicholas is your man."
- Gennady Ermak, Research Associate Professor, USC, author of Communism: the Great Misunderstanding
"Nicholas's attention to detail is both exemplary and comforting. His ability to constructively provide advice, editorial insight and thematic feedback is what puts you at ease: your manuscript is in good hands. As a result, I had the utmost confidence in publishing my manuscript when my latest book debuted this January of 2014. Nicholas is a superb editor."
- Kermit E. Heartsong, author of Illusions, Dystopia & Monsters
"I have reviewed the edits you have made for my MS, and all I can say is that they look fantastic. The MS reads much more fluidly and it is easier to get through. I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. I have corrected most of the points you called out, and I am much more confident publishing the book now."
- Josh Zimmerman, author of How To Become An Intelligence Analyst
"I just had a great experience receiving the most outstanding editing services from Nicholas. He has sensitivity and an exquisite talent for writing, to perfectly guide a writer to the path where their flow and the imagination meet the story. Thanks to Nicholas' guidance and advice, I found that my writings reached the level of quality I've been looking for. I highly recommend Nicholas' editing to anyone looking to receive nothing but the best."
- Stella Gimenez Norfleet, working on her first book.
Comments from publishing professionals:
"After your second assignment I called a meeting and we decided to send all the easy edits to other people."
- Nomita Divi, MSc., Program Manager, Stanford University India Health Policy Initiative
"I have had the pleasure of working closely with Nicholas on a long-term and extremely complex project. As content strategist, Nicholas never lost sight of the big picture, prioritizing large tasks and small details alike in such a way that deliverables were completed on or in advance of schedule. He knew instinctively when to reach out to others, when to step in, and when to offer guidance. There's no question that as a result of his superb organizational and strategic skills, the project was completed in the most timely and cost-effective manner possible."
- Doris Castagno, Owner at Educational Reference Publishing, LLC, colleague in producing a 3-volume academic set: Information and the Information Professions: Selected Works of Marcia J. Bates
"I have known Nicholas in a professional capacity since 1992. He is one of the most efficient and production-savvy editors I have ever dealt with. As impressive as his knowledge of technology, print and media is, his ability to relate his insights in an understandable manner is an equally great strength. He is very organized with an infectious sense of humor whether working in an office environment or independently. I have always found him to be perceptive and adaptable with a meticulous attention to detail."
- Roy A. Wallace, Western Regional Manager, Maple Press
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers