Life Skills Training and Educational Programs, Inc., LifeSTEPS, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization, is currently recruiting for Director of Social Services. This position will work in Union City, CA area. It is the LifeSTEPS Mission to provide effective educational and supportive services to maximize the strengths of individuals and build resilient communities.
Job Title: Director of Social Services
Report to: Regional Director of Social Services
FLSA classification: Non-Exempt
Hours: 30 hours/month.
Pay Rate: $20.00 per hour
The Director of Social Services (DSS), under the direction of the Regional Director of Social Services, is expected to design, implement, and coordinate social service activities within assigned affordable housing complexes. The DSS is responsible for the following duties necessary to successfully support the residents served by LifeSTEPS.
Essential Job Functions include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Conduct annual needs assessments in order to gather information regarding the needs of both the resident community and the larger community surrounding the housing complex.
• Develop needed resources, including donations, for the resident community.
• Implement programs and services for residents based on the monthly calendar schedule. These programs include but are not limited to monthly assigned education classes, property requirements, socials, activities, computer labs, tutorial assistance, and ESL classes.
• Implement specific programs as detailed on TCAC agreements and other Regulatory Agreements.
• Produce and submit monthly service reports on property services by the communicated deadline.
• Provide case management services to assigned resident communities that are in alignment with the LifeSTEPS mission, vision and values.
• Provide case management to residents with multiple needs or who cannot independently initiate referrals with other agencies.
• Responsible for program supply purchasing utilizing monthly contract petty cash according to LifeSTEPS best practices.
• Maintain all resident and property services in the mylifesteps.org database on a continuous, regular basis. Ensure entries are up to date prior to each weekly supervision call.
• Maintain contact with the property manager at least weekly, and communicate information on property as appropriate. Maintain monthly contact with the Regional Manager of each property.
• Submit impact (success) stories per the schedule assigned by the supervisor.
• Organize neighborhood watch, resident council meetings, social and related activities.
• Ensure that event flyers for each property are created, posted and distributed before the first of the month.
• Provide mediation services to the residents living in the apartment complex.
• Maintain the property binder which will include all flyers and event sign-in sheets. Ensure binders are kept in an organized, professional manner. Property binder and original sign in sheets shall remain on property site at all times.
• Offer information and referrals to residents regarding the various social services available throughout the county.
• Make reports to Child Protective Services or Adult Protective Services as mandated reporters.
• Act as a community liaison for LifeSTEPS.
• Maintain and report statistical tracking of individuals/families receiving services.
• Follow all LifeSTEPS policies, procedures and guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representation of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: The minimum qualifications and training for this position are:
• Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology or related field.
• Two (2) years of experience in a similar environment providing social services.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the degree.
Skills and Abilities:
• Communication skills:
o Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language.
o Communicating with Supervisors or Peers: Provide information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
o Communicating with Persons outside the Organization: Communicate with third parties with professionalism; represent and promote LifeSTEPS values to program participants and partnerships, the public, governmental and other external agencies. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
o Check email and voicemail daily and respond the same day or within 24 hours.
• Management skills
o Time Management: Develop specific goals and ability to prioritize and organize work.
o Team building: Encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Reasoning Skills: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Attention to detail: Detail oriented and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Computer Skills: Ability to operate a personal computer with email, internet and word processing software.
• Dependability: Regular attendance and timeliness is mandatory in order to meet compliance requirements. Must be able to physically be at each assigned property and spend the required contracted hours at each assigned property per month.
• Valid California Driving License and reliable, insured transportation required.
Physical Job Description
• Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; walk on uneven terrain; bend; sit; use hands to handle objects, tools, or controls; lift; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and move about the facilities within the communities served by LifeSTEPS- both indoors and outdoors. Vision and hearing must be sufficient to perform job functions safely including visual acuity to perform activities such as data entry, preparing reports, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading, and visual inspection of one's own work product at varying distances. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Work Environment: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee occasionally works in outdoor weather conditions, at resident properties, and special events.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter in PDF format.
Please reference open position: # 2019-015
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers