Callisto Media was inspired by a single, transformational idea: harness the power of big data to produce content that enables consumers to lead richer, healthier, more fulfilled lives.
With deep roots in technology and publishing, Callisto Media harnesses the disruptive power of Big Data, creating unparalleled insights into consumer demand and the science of content. Our titles uniquely serve the needs of the reader, enjoy consistent profitability, and delve into the long tail of opportunity.
We are an enterprising, collaborative culture backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capitalists and use proprietary technology to identify and meet consumer demand delivering timely content in sync with the market. We're an intellectually curious team made up of driven analysts, editors, designers, marketers, and engineers based in the Bay area and New York City who are aggressively expanding the breadth and depth of our portfolio in cooking, specialty diet, health and wellness, mind, body and spirit, parenting, kids, business and much more.
The Production Designer at Callisto Media reports to the Vice President, Design and is responsible for providing support in managing production tasks for books and related collateral in our high-volume custom publishing group. The Production Designer facilitates design production workflow, performs complex page composition and corrections, sets up printer-ready files, provides simple illustration and photography support, and works closely with the Design Department and our various partners.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated executional powerhouse, is high-energy and detail-oriented, and has proven skills in managing complex production tasks in a Trade publishing, magazine, design, or advertising agency environment. An established track record in collaborating successfully with cross-functional teams is required.
• Quickly, accurately, and efficiently perform complex page composition and corrections in Adobe InDesign
• Produce mockups, cover mechanicals, and other print-ready files
• Create polished sales and marketing assets
• Perform light illustration and photo retouching tasks
• Conduct photo research; organize and prepare photo assets for production
• Properly document, implement, and reinforce Callisto and strategic partner brand standards
• Coordinate closely with internal as well as external partners to ensure creative intent
• Adhere to demanding schedules and help uphold high design quality standards
• Provide support on additional design and administrative tasks
Desired Skills and Experience
• At least 3 years design production experience in a high-volume creative environment
• Mastery of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat
• Extensive knowledge of typography and proper typesetting conventions
• Simple photography and illustration capabilities
• Knowledge of print production process
• Sharp eye for quality and consistency
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with a great attention to detail
• Superior organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet tight deadlines
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to take initiative while working collaboratively
• Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
• Bachelor's degree in design, or equivalent education and experience
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We're entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Please submit a resume, digital samples of your work or your online portfolio, salary expectations, and a cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401K, stock options, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position at our office in Emeryville, California.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers