compensation: $60,529 to $74,985 employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
California School Employees Association
CSEA is a union that represents 245,000 classified employees in public schools and community colleges. We are a financially stable organization with a proud 93-year history, a $68 million balanced budget, and 300 employees who work in 12 offices throughout California.
The Accountant performs advanced and complex accounting, payroll and general ledger functions in CSEA’s Accounting and Finance Department. This position reports to the General Ledger Manager and works closely with Human Resources. The Department includes 22 employees and processes CSEA’s revenue and expenses.
Our mission is to improve the lives of our members, students and community. We are dedicated to fighting for income equality, affordable healthcare, quality education, and secure retirements for our members.
Examples of duties
• Performs general ledger functions
• Assists with year-end close
• Prepares, verifies and processes payroll for 300 employees
• Resolves complex accounting problems with payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable, answers questions, and makes necessary adjustments
• Updates records of time-off balances
• Calculates and transmits data and payments to insurance carriers, 401k, retirement and pension plans
• Prepares individual earnings reports for pension benefits, workers compensation, disability and unemployment applications
• Prepares financial statements, tax reports, and monthly and quarterly reports
• Prepares and/or supervises preparation of, checks, vouchers, invoices, time records, and similar documents
• Verifies charges and account codes for expense, housing, travel costs, telephone and credit card purchases
• Ensures compliance with federal, state and local reporting requirements
• Cross trains and relieves other Accountants and Senior Accountants during absences
• General accounting principles, methods, practices and terminology
• Electronic payroll accounting and other related procedures
• IRS, state and local requirements and penalties for preparing and reporting payroll
• Perform advanced and complex payroll and accounting work requiring independent judgment and initiative
• Prepare year end records, reports, and prepare appropriate schedules for auditors
• Prepare detailed payroll related analysis, statements and projections
• Adapt to new or changing technology and procedures
• Advise and guide employees and supervisors regarding payroll procedures
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
• Maintain confidentiality
• Remain calm and think clearly under pressure
• Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
• Three years’ accounting experience.
• Experience with Paycom is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree with advanced course work in accounting.
The annual salary range for the Accountant is $60,529 - $74,985. Starting salaries are typically at the first step on our salary range, although consideration may be given for candidates with exceptional qualifications and experience. Benefits include 17 paid holidays, 3 weeks’ vacation to start and 5 weeks after 7 years, medical benefits for you and your family, life insurance coverage and a pension plan.
Please apply on our web site at www.csea.com/employment , upload your resume and write a cover letter to explain why you’re the ideal person for this position.
Questions? Contact HR at HREmail@csea.com . Please do not send resumes or other documents to this email.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers