Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Food Services, Culinary R&D Prof, Nutrition Services Sup, Food Instru.
Detail oriented, energetic hospitality industry professional capable of handling corporate and independent food business entities to provide excellent customer service. Instrumental in developing recipes, menu concepts and imparting employee training to meet the organization goals, managing front of the house and back of the house operation including ordering, inventory budgeting, finance, sales and labor.
• Bachelor's Degree in Food Science and Nutrition -- 1998.
• Degree in Food production and Patisserie -- 1999.
• Degree in Hospitality Administration and Food Technology - 2001.
• Food Safety Managers Certification from Santa Clara County
• ServSafe Certification from SYSCO
• Trained on HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point)
Owner of Food Melange (www.foodmelange.com) Period: 2011 to current
Role: Caterer and Independent Food Consultant
1. Analyze the operational efficiency, implemented methods of improvements at various stages of operation for improved quality and efficiency standards.
2. Serve as a technical resource in creating kitchen work flow efficiency and handling operational equipment.
3. Skilled in motivating, mentoring and leading talented kitchen professionals.
4. Standardize and streamline the existing menu. Upon stabilizing, introduced ideas from different states and region to bring in individuality and diversity.
5. Confident in developing food concepts and organizing food events and promotions . Indian Menu with a multinational flair, Tapas menu, Sumptuous meal combos etc.
6. Trained staff on presentation skills, up selling menu techniques including menu pairing ideas.
7. Identify available opportunities to create change by exercising a strategic approach.
8. Skillful in writing technically creative recipe description.
9. Conducted taste panels to finalize the menu. Evaluated feedback and revised as needed.
10. Perform market research to compile menus that are fresh, appealing, flavorsome and healthy to aligned with the client needs.
CUPERTINO SCHOOL DISTRICT & SAN JOSE SCHOOL DISTRICT Period: Aug 2008 -- July 2011
Role: Nutrition Services Supervisor
1. Responsible for overseeing food service cafeterias in every school, interacted with various school stake holders in order to understand their needs from the nutrition services department and made desirable changes to meet the expectations related to food preparation, cafeteria menus, customer service, computerization, equipment and facilities.
2. Ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws and district requirement concerning safety and sanitation, free and reduced price meals, point of sale including nutritional standards by monitoring all school food service sites.
3. Hands on experience on Menu planning system SMI's, Diverse Lunch Programs, Re authorization of school lunch act, Smart snacking at schools, Healthy hunger free kids act, USDA commodity foods, Local wellness policy, audits, equipment and commodity bids.
4. Worked on "Nutri kids" software for recipe standardization and on POS software for consolidating meal claims for reimbursements from state and federal agencies.
5. As a member of a Nutrition Education Committee (SHAPE) consulted with School Principals and Manager of Food services before making marketing plans for a new program in order to incorporate healthy eating habits among children. On its approval implemented plans and revised them as needed. Ex., Salad & Smoothie Bar, Burrito Bar, Cupertino Minnie Meal - Vending Machine Project (Breakfast on the run) Yogurt & Granola Bar, Breakfast Burrito.
6. Work closely with food service manager for planning district menus, standardizing recipes to ensure nutritional adequacy, program compliance, student preference, effective use of food supplies and cost control.
7. School Cafeterias - Implemented various marketing ideas to enhance the face lift of the school dining area. Educated cafeteria food service employees on ways to motivate and encourage students to make wise food choices from foods offered. Conducted school dining area inspection to observe acceptance of food among children and carried out student taste panels to taste new products and obtain feedback.
8. Provide guidance for all employees at a site in the absence of the Cafeteria Manager and participated in the actual food production and distribution process when needed.
9. On request of school teachers and principals had a wonderful opportunity to deliver twenty minute small presentations at Elementary classroom setting on topics of nutrition using various interactive tools like PowerPoint presentations, flyers, trivia's and skit presentation.
10. Worked on creating merchandising tools like newsletters and posters on healthy foods for community awareness by emphasizing on topics of nutrition, exercise and ways to lead a healthy lifestyle.
11. Responsible for new hire recruits including counseling, evaluating performance, ongoing training programs, transfers and disciplinary actions.
12. Made consistent effort to maintain and improve the image of the CNS Department of the District and assisted with audits of all phases of programs to assure compliance.
ARAMARK Period: Sep 2006 -- Jul 2008
Role: As a Food Services Director managed a food service operation at multiple ARAMARK food services accounts (Nvidia, KLA Tencor at Milpitas and Mountain View Location) to provide meals to 5000 plus employees on a daily basis.
1. As a manager was responsible for operational excellence - In charge of managing cafe operation (FOH & BOH), supervision of staff, identifying and resolving urgent issues, preventing heavy traffic zones at food stations. Closely monitored and controlled the operational costs including food, labor and directs.
2. Contributed in recipe standardization and menu enhancement. Studied market trends in food industry & monitored local competitors. Increased the cafe revenue by organizing events and promotions.
3. Audit knowledge - Financial Audits, Business Services Standards Audits - OSHA, Food Safety and Sanitation, HACCP and Operational Audits.
4. Accountable for generating sales and financial reports including client report. After being promoted from managerial level to director's level was involved in the opening and stabilizing of multiple Aramark Food Business accounts like Symantec, KLA Tencor, AMD and Lockheed Martin.
5. Employee Training - Trained, motivated and lead team to deliver the highest level of food service standards and presentation. Evaluated team performance on regular basis & provided feedback and suggestions for their overall development. Reprioritized team duties during peak hours for smooth and efficient operation.
6. Employee Related Issues - New hire formalities, job orientation, leave approvals, issues related to employee injury, corrective action reports including and up to termination procedures as per the ARAMARK policies.
REDWOOD CITY COMMUNITY CENTER & SUNNYVALE CUPERTINO HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT Period: Dec 2004 -- Dec 2009
Role: Culinary Instructor [Part Time]
Conducted hands on culinary classes on various food concepts and multi cuisines like Indian, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Thai including Basic 101 cooking techniques. Trained students on easy to follow cooking techniques and answered food related technical queries
TIFFIN'S AND KEBABS RESTAURANT - SANTA CLARA Period: Nov 2004 -- Aug 2006
1. Managed front of the house and back of the house responsibilities.
2. Trained new employees on menu knowledge, plate presentation and customer service.
3. Oversee daily operation to ensure customer satisfaction and quality control.
4. Manage the Kitchen and FOH inventory to maintain the Food, Labor and Direct costs.
5. Handled Inventory and food purchasing, food control besides managing daily accounts - opening and closing procedures.
SANJEEV KAPOOR'S - KHANA KHAZANA INDIA PVT. LTD. MUMBAI, (INDIA) Period: Apr 2001 - Oct 2004
Role: Culinary Research & Development, Test Kitchen Professional, Project Lead, Website Content Manager.
1. Proficient in developing food concepts and planning menus.
2. Contributed towards the recipe research & development for various culinary books including books on health topics such as Diabetes, Cholesterol etc. Responsible for creating exclusive recipes for the franchisee restaurant - "The Yellow Chili" across India including recipes for television food channel "Khana Khazana" and website www.sanjeevkapoor.com
3. Confident in scaling recipes for bulk production. Analyzing the ratio proportion of recipe transfer in-house or at the client companies. Ex. Fast Moving Consumer Goods like Pickles, Indian Spices, Sprinklers and Ready to Cook Mixes.
4. Worked for a leading Chocolate manufacturer in India - Cadbury's by fusing authentic Indian sweets with their signature chocolate as the main ingredient to create chocolate based Indian sweets for festivals like Diwali, Christmas etc.
5. Worked as a web content creator by writing food related columns and articles besides answering food related technical queries by the viewers of the web portal www.sanjeevkapoor.com
6. Conducted market research and provided feedback to the restaurant clientele as to what kind of cuisine and restaurant grade would result in their success.
- it's ok to contact this poster if you are a potential employer or other principal
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers