Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
magazine/ web internship (berkeley)
compensation: $700 per month stipend
You should be prepared to track down hard-to-find information, juggle deadlines, and take on a variety of journalistic challenges. Please visit our website at www.californiamag.org to view recent issues and web-exclusive content.
-Write short science articles about research at UC Berkeley for the front of the book.
-Pitch, report, and write news and feature articles for California Online.
- Research story ideas and write short magazine pieces, both stand-alone and as sidebars and boxes.
- Attend weekly editorial meetings to evaluate and offer detailed critiques of articles submitted to the magazine and pitch web and magazine ideas. Participate in planning future coverage.
- Fact-check articles: Call sources, locate primary source documents, and evaluate sources while working closely with the story editors and writers.
- Chase down photo leads and/or shoot photographs, assemble, and prepare photos and artwork for layout.
- Assist the editors with other duties, including page proofing, in order to ensure the timely and smooth production of the magazine.
- Finding and using the best possible promotion channels on social media sites, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit and Flipboard.
The internship lasts three months and pays a monthly stipend of $700.
Successful candidates will be inquisitive, well-informed college graduates pursuing careers in journalism and publishing, with excellent critical thinking, reporting, writing, and editing skills; good computer skills; social media expertise; and the ability to work well both cooperatively and independently. Knowledge of UC Berkeley and previous journalism experience preferred.
No phone calls, please! Send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples (non-academic preferred) by email to email@example.com with "editorial intern" in the subject in; by fax to 510.642.6252; or by mail to Wendy Miller, 1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers