Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Cheese and Wine Retail Sales (Alameda and Montclair Village)
Farmstead Cheeses and Wines is looking for an experienced, motivated, charming, and passionate person to sell Wine and Cheese in our Alameda and Montclair Village (Oakland) shops, part time (20-30 hours per week).
This position also includes non-sales duties, like cheese cleaning and care, opening and/or closing the store, stocking shelves, and clean up prior to opening, during the shift, and at closing.
Working wine retail experience , and/or a very deep knowledge of wine is an absolute necessity.
Working at Farmstead is fun, friendly, and rewarding. Wages are commensurate with experience and achievement.
* Real world experience in Retail, Food Service, Restaurant, or Hospitality industries (with experience in wine)
* An enthusiastic passion for great food and wine, and the cultures that produce them, etc.
* Great communications skills (We're looking for the ability to communicate about wine and cheese without snobbery or attitude.)
* A sense of personal responsibility that includes punctuality and a healthy, old-fashioned work ethic.
* Ability to follow directions
* Basic math skills
* Reliable transportation to and from Alameda and the Montclair Village section of Oakland
* Proven sales and customer service competence
* Ability to lift 40-65 pounds perhaps many times during the day (Wine crates and cheese boxes can be heavy!)
* Windows computer savvy
* A flexible schedule -- with availability to work weekends, evenings, opening and/or closing shifts. Weekend work is mandatory
* Verifiable references
We're seeking someone who can work up to 40 hours per week, including weekend and evening shifts. We offer a collegial and fun work environment, a SIMPLE IRA plan, health care (for full time employees), and generous staff discounts.
Along with your resume, send us an email, and in a few paragraphs tell us about yourself and why you'd be the perfect candidate to work in a great cheese and wine store; and how your work history, qualifications for the job, and personality would fit in with our shop. No cover letter, no response. No phone calls or unscheduled drop-ins, please!
Farmstead Cheeses and Wines is an award-winning cheese and wine store that features over 100 cheeses and 500 hand selected wines, as well as a selection of olive oils and vinegars, and crackers. Our team members are an eclectic group who love serving the public and who love helping them to find the right cheese and wine without attitude or snobbery. We enjoy working with each other and serving the public, and are looking for a dynamic person with real world wine experience to join our team.
*Carrying/transporting of loads greater than 35 lbs
*Intermittent standing, walking, reaching, sitting
*Occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation.
*Occasional environmental exposure to cold, heat and water, and rare exposure to dust and fumes.
*Use of machinery including, but not limited to, hand trucks/dollies, commercial dishwashers, knives, cheese cutter and wrapper, scales, computers, printers and other office equipment.
*Use of knives is required.
*Ability to perform physical requirements of a position that requires lifting, stacking of boxes, and repetitive cutting of cheeses.
*Ability to work well with others.
*Ability to communicate and teach product knowledge to fellow staff members.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers